With just about 16 weeks until the Saucony Cambridge Half Marathon 2018, we decided to sit down and talk to the Official Coach, Benvenuto Baldelli, to find out what his top tips to get ready for the event:
1. Make running a habit! Allocating regular times each week for your training makes it easier for you and those you share your life with.
2. Don’t go hard every time! It’s very tempting, (especially if you use Strava), to try and go faster each time you train. This is bound to lead to eventual disappointment and probably injury. It’s much better to vary your efforts.
3. Walking is good too! Not only is a run/walk race strategy very effective for many athletes, even fairly speedy ones, but walking is a great way to supplement your aerobic training. You can also easily include friends and family so they feel involved in your preparation too!
4. Vary the terrain you run on! Pounding the roads and pavements can take its toll by venturing on to grass and woodland paths from time to time you can make your running a lot more enjoyable, discover new routes and lessen the chance of injury as you build up your mileage.
5. Maintain your motivation! The Half Marathon May seem a long way away right now so find some interim events to target and focus on. You might fancy a local Cross Country race or there is always the option of your nearest Saturday morning Parkrun!
Volunteers we need you
We know what makes events a success - it's people.