Karl Alexander retained his Outlaw Half Nottingham title, setting a new course record after an enthralling battle with Simon George. Linda Evans won the women’s event at her first attempt as more than 1100 triathletes completed the 1900m swim, 56mile bike ride and 13.1mile run course.
Karl Alexander retained his title and broke the course record with a new time of 4 hours 11minutes and 12 seconds. However, it was not without a fight from Lincoln’s Simon George.
George looked to be on course for victory until he started to fade on the second and final lap of the run. Alexander erased a considerable lead to take the number one spot inside the final 500 metres. The final margin of his victory was just eight seconds.
Alexander said: “Simon made me work for it, that’s for sure. On the run I felt strong and I never gave up, but I couldn’t have sprinted any harder at the end!”
George commented: “Until the last 8km it was absolutely awesome, but the last 8km was horrendous. I smashed my time from last year by about 12 minutes though.”
The women’s race was won by Linda Evans, a first-timer at the Outlaw Half. She set up her victory with a strong bike leg and held on from Leicester’s Claire Shea-Simonds on the run.
She said: “It was really tough, but really enjoyable. I’ve not done a half distance event for some time now. I’m not so much of a runner so I found that really hard.”
TFN won the relay for the third year in a row and were inside their own course record. The Outlaw Half Nottingham will take place again next May, and pre registration will open in early August. Entries are still available for the Outlaw Half Holkham on 3 July, visit www.osbevents.com.
Results; Outlaw Half Nottingham; 29 May 2016; 1900m swim, 56mile bike, 13.1mile run:
1. Karl Alexander, M35-39, Erdinger, 4:11:12
2. Simon George, M35-39, Giant Lincoln/Lincoln Tri, 4:11:20
3. Joel Jameson, M30-34, 4:13:26
4. Matt Leeman, M25-29, Benfleet Running Club, 4:16:33
8. Matt Dewis, MU24, RaceHub, 4:16:40
1. Linda Evans, F25-29, 4:40:42
2. Claire Shea-Simonds, F35-39, Racetime Triathlon Club, 4:50:45
3. Rebecca Nkoane, F40-44, Chiltern Tri, 4:56:18
4. Sarah Fraser, F35-39, 5:02:51
5. Gema Snape, F30-34, Tri Preston, 5:03:09
1. Team Smith-Redwood-Mcglashen, TFN, 4:01:18
2. Team Jameson-Deinhart, High5, 4:12:13
3. Team Psd, 4:12:58
Full results: http://www.osbevents.com/results/